Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Georgia

My 93 year old father sold a truck to a friend for 1500.00 with 20.00 payments to be made weekly. She has quit paying and won't answer the phone. What can he do to get his money.

Asked on 7/10/13, 2:10 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Hopefully he saw a lawyer and did it right, with a title showing him as lien holder and a contract allowing him to (1) repossess the car and (2) sue. If he did those things, he needs to make a quick call to his lawyer and probably will simply repo the car (and sue also if he chooses). If he did this without proper paperwork, he probably has an expensive mess and will spend more than $1500 on a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 2:59 pm

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

I agree with Mr. Ashman. If he did not make himself a lienholder on title, he cannot repo the truck. He could sue her is magistrate court for the money, but the magistrate court has no authority to order her to return it. The only court with authority to require her to return the truck is the Superior Court, and that would be an expensive endeavor.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 9:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Georgia