Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Georgia

I had a junk car stored at my Mechanics parking lot in DeKalb county, Ga. and yesterday I went there to meet one of those companies that buys junk cars but when we arrived, the car was gone. Discovered that the county had it towed an abandoned car. Now a tow yard has my car and is saying I have to pay $200.00 as of yesterday or they will accept the title as payment. The kicker is, it was on private property and I had permission from me mechanic who also had permission from his landlord the property owner. My question is, should I sign over the title or just tell them no and let them keep the car. How can I get it out of my name if they possess it. The police gave me the name of the person who called to report it as an abandoned car and neither my mechanic nor the property owner has ever even heard of that person. The kicker is that after today, more fees will be piled on if I do not sign over the title of pay $200.00. What should I do. I just want to ensure that the car is taken out of my name and not be penalized.

Asked on 7/07/17, 7:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


Two solutions off the top of my head: sue the person who called about abandoned car and/or sue county/local agency who had car towed (you appear to have two good witnesses)

You will need an attorney for either (or other solutions/defendants that attorney may uncover)

Do not sign over the title or pay for the storage or towing fees/costs until you have spoken with an attorney (these are complex issues)

Good luck

Ralph (office # 770.985.6773 - answered 24x7x365)

Read more
Answered on 7/07/17, 11:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Georgia