Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Georgia

I am being sued for professional Slander in magistrate court. I am the only defendant listed on the suit. The plaintiff's exact claim on the notice of summons is as follows: Ms. xxxxxxxxx borrowed the amount of $800.00 from me to pay rent, she agreed to pay me back when she recieved her 2013 income tax. She refuses to pay me and will not return my calls. Her husband became involved and caused me to be suspended from my job and lose monies that i had to pay for class. He jeapodrized my postion by sending a letter to my employer. I would like to add those cost.

I need advice: This suite/claim appears to be directed towards my husband not me according to the complaint and he is not listed on the suit. Is this something a judge will just throw out? The money that is being referred to was given to me and my ex 2 years ago as a gift in a time of need when we were all friends at the time. Her and my ex are still friends but she wants the gifted money back only from me since we are no longer friends. I have offered in good faith half the money back and said the other half needs to come from my ex which she has turned down this offer. She did help me and my ex in a time of need and feel it is only right to return my half if asked. Plus I and my new husband have received a number of threats from this person which has caused me to have panic attacks. I currently have folks from my work walking me to my car in fear from her threats. Am I in a position to counter sue for being wrongly accused for the claim of professional slander, threats and harassment.

Asked on 5/02/13, 6:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

You need advice badly and only person should be giving it -- your lawyer. The bottom line is that you have been sued for an intentional tort that could possibly lead to a significant, possibly non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. You can choose to fumble through this and risk more of everything you posted about plus a judgment, or you can treat it as a serious matter and hire a lawyer to get it resolved.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/13, 5:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Georgia