Legal Question in Immigration Law in Georgia

Can you please advice me on this one?

I appreciate your time and help.

my wife became citizen last week. i am still working with the same employer on a valid H1b.

now if she want to file for my GC what are the steps to do this?

Which forms should we fill?

regarding form I-864, my wife's income is not enough alone to sponser me. She earns like 12,000 USD. Can i sponser myself? If we include my salary we are good. Should i include my income in her I-864 in line 24 or should i fill a saperate I-864 or I-864A?

Please try to help me as little or as much as you can.

Asked on 8/30/10, 7:41 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

Yes, you can now apply for adjustment of status based on a marriage to a US citizen. Your wife should petition for you (if she hasn't done it already), and you apply for adjustment of status.

Sometimes, an intending immigrant can use his income for the purpose of the Affidavit of Support.

If you are eligible and all is properly applied and filed, you can become a permanent resident within 4-6 months.

Because this is a public forum (not confidential communication), I can't tell you here specifically what you should file.

If youd like to schedule a telephone or email legal consultation, need legal advice or help, please let me know and Id be glad to help you. I am an immigration attorney and offer confidential consultations and legal help in matters of the U.S.A. federal immigration law to clients from all 50 States and internationally. Please email your inquiries at Attorney and Ill send you a Questionnaire. Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL first to schedule a consultation appointment with an attorney).

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesnt create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

Read more
Answered on 9/04/10, 8:47 am

Luba is absolutely right - you need to hire a good local immigration attorney ASAP

Call me at (770) 985-6773 and I'll find you a great immigration lawyer in the Norcross (Gwinnett County), Gainesville (Hall County) and/or metro-Atlanta, GA areas where I have practiced for nearly 20 years combined

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 9/04/10, 10:03 am
Ajay Arora Ajay K. Arora, Attorney-at-Law, P.C.


Immigration law is federal law and is the same irrespective of location. Normally all sponsorship paperwork such as I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, G325, I-864, etc. is filed concurrently based on marriage to a U.S. citizen in order to expedite the sponsorship, but there could be additional forms that should be filed as well. The selection of paperwork that should be properly prepared and filed is determined by your unique case. In most cases the I-864A will allow you to combine your income with your wife's income as noted in her I-864.

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email [email protected] for guidance.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/10, 7:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Georgia