Legal Question in Immigration Law in Georgia

hi.i just got marry with my boyfriend of 5years now my husband and he is a us citizen and we have a 6month old baby.i can here illegally when i was 8 years old.and now i would like know what is the process i have to go throught to become legal?

Asked on 8/23/10, 10:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Luba Smal Smal Immigration Law Office

If you came to USA illegally and no one had ever petitioned for you or your parents when you were a child -- now, if your US citizen husband petitions for you, you will have to go abroad to your home country to apply for a visa. Only those eligible for adjustment of status can apply for a 'green card' without having to leave the country. Please keep in mind that when you depart the USA, you will be banned for 10 years and a waiver will be required in addition to a visa.

If you would like to request a confidential legal advice or schedule telephone or email consultation regarding your specific situation, please email me directly at [email protected] and I will send you a Questionnaire. Office Telephone line is 1-402-210-2040 (please EMAIL first to schedule a consultation appointment). I am an immigration attorney and work with clients from all States and globally. More information at

Note: The above response is provided for legal information purposes only and should not be considered a legal advice; it doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please visit

Read more
Answered on 8/28/10, 11:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Georgia