Legal Question in Insurance Law in Georgia

Auto accident in Georgia

I was in an accident in June of this year. I turned into a driveway and a motorcycle coming around a sharp curve hit me in the back end of my car. The driver was hurt in this accident. He was on the job from Harley so Workman's Comp paid both his medical bills and salary. Situation is now this: my insurance company recognizes that he is going to sue for pain and suffering (and I believe he deserves it) and a representative has been calling me requiring me to make a decision as to what ''I'' want to do about it. The issue is whether or not to offer him the $250,000 that I am insured for. I am not too sure that I am even suppossed to be involved in this issue at this point unless I am personally named in a suit. (I have a $250,000 personal injury amount). They have also mentioned something about a $25000 uninsured motorist issue that is my other choice and I do not know what bearing this has on this situation. Is this my decision to make, and also they say that he will also come after me. Please advise Thank You

Asked on 1/18/07, 5:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Re: Auto accident in Georgia

In all likelihood, your insurance covers liability (to the limit) AND for a defense (meaning, the insurer provides a lawyer). Though I am sure a lawyer would like to take an hourly fee to review documents, and it may at some point be a good idea, it does not mean it is wise now unless you have the money and don't mind paying for peace of mind. Moreover, you will likely find that you have an obligation to cooperate with the insurer, so cutting off contact with YOUR insurance company for any length of time is not a good move. When you apeak to them, ask them for clarity on what they believe there obligations are and what they expect from you in terms of cooperation and decisions. Finally, if you see a lawyer (which is not a BAD idea, just not necessarily needed at this point), see one who practices in this area of law as a primary practice area, and not one who offers services and seeks clients in any number of unrelated areas. With the potential numbers at issue, you want an expert.

Read more
Answered on 1/19/07, 10:21 am

Re: Auto accident in Georgia

Before you do anything or talk to any more insurance representatives, it would be a good idea to make an appointment with an attorney in your area who is experienced in accident and insurance law for a consultation. That individual could explain how to protect your interest in fairness and your financial security.

Read more
Answered on 1/18/07, 5:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Georgia