Legal Question in Insurance Law in Georgia

What can I do to get compensation? I was financing my car and was rear ended, my car was totaled I wasn't hurt. I owed 8k the insurance is only paying 4k because that is what it is valued at. I don't have gap insurance but it has almost been two weeks and I was not given a rental or any money. I'm a delivery driver full time and am losing money everyday. So now I'm going to be out of work, with no car, and owing 4 grand to the finance company. This doesn't seem right when I was not at fault. What can I do? Should I get a lawyer?

Asked on 4/03/13, 2:33 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Actually, sadly, it is your fault. One NEVER should finance a car where they will be upside down without gap insurance. Your decision to save a few hundred dollars has cost you $4000.

The other insurer does have to pay for your rental until they tender the $4000.

The next car you buy, if you finance, get gap insurance. You can't fix this bad decision, but you can keep from repeating it. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 4/03/13, 4:01 pm

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

You insured the value of the car, not the size of the loan you decided to take. I am not sure how it does not sound right. It is also not the insurance company's fault you chose to borrow more than the car is worth and not get the insurance to cover the rest.

Read more
Answered on 4/03/13, 5:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Georgia