Legal Question in Insurance Law in Georgia

My siblings and I were awarded settlements following a fatal work related car accident in 2000. A specific lump sum was awarded to my mother and we are were awarded settlements approximately $20K per child (they are four of us) placed into an escrow. The funds were to be released on the day of our 22nd birthdays in the form of a paper check. My mother opened bank accounts in each of our names and herself as joint owner due to us being minors when the account was initially opened. 22nd birthday arrives, I was told there was no check by my mother so I went to the bank, I was told by the teller that there was a balance of $0 and the funds were withdrawn and deposited into my mother's personal checking account. The bank claimed there was nothing they could do and I was just out of luck. She has done this to each my siblings as well. I spoke with the insurance company and they agreed that the funds were not supposed to be released to our mother and went on to tell me that she has several pieces of documentation that my sisters and I allegedly signed requesting for all funds to changed from the form of a paper check to direct deposit which was obviously forged. Are there any options available for me to pursue to hold her accountable for this and/or possibly have her payback the funds she took?

Asked on 3/09/18, 2:09 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Ronald Arthur Lowry Ronald Arthur Lowry

Contact the police. She stole your money.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/18, 2:16 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Your mother likely committed a crime and you may be able to prosecute her , or to sue her for the money. Get a good lawyer ASAP to investigate. Likely she had to post a bond with the probate court and if so, you may be able to collect on that. Again, get counsel ASAP. This may or may not have a good ending, but you may have legal options. Your mother could end up in jail or at least in civil court.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/18, 2:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Georgia