Legal Question in Mediation in Georgia

My boyfriend's ex wife helped with the deposit and signed as co-owner on a new car post-divorce a few years ago. She has BEGGED to be let off the note one way or another several times since then and has done this in writing. We have initiated the purchase of a new car which would definitely take care of this as she requested. She now wants her deposit back, claims she gave it in "good faith" and expects it to be repaid. There was no written agreement to this effect, that was never part of the agreement when he purchased this car. She's playing games to try to get something out of it besides clearing up her credit. She has never made any payments nor even seen the car. Is there anything we can do to get her to sign off?

Asked on 8/06/13, 9:34 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

If she paid for part of a vehicle that your boyfriend is driving, and co-signed to allow him to get it, why not simply pay her back? Your post indicates it is not the ex-wife playing games and is not trying to "get something out of it." It looks like your boyfriend is the one who has no regard for the favor she did or the money she paid. Not a good sign for the future.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/13, 9:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Mediation questions and answers in Georgia