Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Georgia

Do I pursue legal action?

In August 2011 I was climbing a power pole and as I was descending I cut out(lost control of position on pole). I was 10-12 feet up and received splinters cuts, and burns to my hands and arms. I went to a family practice Doctors office to get medical attention and was seen by a doctor who looked at my injuries and performed some cleaning and removal of splinters. In February 2013 I began having movement problems with my left hand thumb. I went to a orthopedic surgeon about my ongoing troubles and explained to him waht happened in 2011 and he concluded that there was something still in my hand. I had a small surgery and as a result a piece of wood from the pole was removed from my hand which was causing my problems. The Doctor I initially saw did no x-rays or specific actions to make sure not hands were free of foreign objects beyond visual observation. Now I have the Hospital and Doctors office calling with collections notices and the original Doctors office will not respond to my request for them to pay my medical expenses due to their Doctors incompetence. What do I do now?

Asked on 2/11/14, 7:05 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Although you posted under medical malpractice, the post indicates that you are looking for a defense to paying the debt. It appears that 18 months passed between the doctor visits, and you apparently did not pay the first doctor in that 18 months (before you had trouble). Another year has passed, and the "incompetence" has arisen when collection calls start coming in. The statute of limitations for malpractice is 2 years, and for a foreign object left in body, one year after discovery. You can certainly see a med mal lawyer (very soon) but a case cost thousands just to get started. If this is really just to not pay the bill (which appears likely), then you'll probably have to deal with it as a collection case not a med mal case.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/14, 7:16 am

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

If you are asking about malpractice that claim expires 2 years after the alleged malpractice (or 1 year after discovery of a foreign object).

If you're worried about the bills and they are large, you need a bankruptcy lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/14, 8:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Georgia