Legal Question in Military Law in Georgia

I signed up for a 1 year Contract as a 17 year old cosigned under my father. Planning to go into the military, I told the gym recruiter that I would not be able to finish my 1 year term of membership. The gym recruiter told me that when I get my military papers that they would be able to cancel it. I swore into the Marine Corps on August Third. With the entry to the Delayed Entry Program (DEP), I am required to attend a 3time weekly training at the Marine Corps Recruiting Sub Station. With no time to work out at the gym, I stopped by the gym to try to get the membership cancelled, papers in hand. The manager told me that unless I am shipping out to bootcamp soon, there is nothing she can do. I leave June 04, 2012. Is ther eany thing legally I can do? Since I am in the Delayed Entry Program, I am in a 'Ready Reserve Status', meaning at any given time I need to be prepared to ship out. Does this interfere with my gym membership.

Asked on 9/06/11, 1:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

As a 17 year old, you could nolt legally contract with them. So a lawyer, with one letter will solve your problem.

Unfortunately your dad is an adult and he is liable.

Nothing anyone tells you matters as to what rights he has. His rights, including any cancellation rights, are dictated solely by the contract which no one here has seen.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/11, 5:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Georgia