Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

I was hit in rear-end in GA by a young driver that is at-fault and paid fine. The actual owner of the vehicle is a different person and lives at a different address and she carries 100/300 limits. My medical bills have reached 121,000 already, i have UM coverage 25/50 and additional 50,000 med pay on my policy, what is the most i can get ?

Asked on 1/31/18, 9:35 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Theodore Spaulding Spaulding Injury Law

So you have the potential of obtaining the $100k limits from the at-fault party plus your $25K UM plus your $50k med pay. The catch is going to be what type of UM coverage you have. There are two types and if you have the better kind called add-on UM you can received the $25k limits. If you do not have that type then you will not receive any UM in the case and you would be left with the $100k from at-fault and $50k med pay.

There are potentially other sources of insurance you want to make sure someone has advised you of and pursued availability since you have a case worth potentially way more than the current available insurance coverages.

I hope this helps and if you need to speak to a Georgia lawyer, I would be happy to speak with you.

Best regards,

Theodore Spaulding, Esq

Boling Rice LLC

(770) 887-3162

Read more
Answered on 2/01/18, 6:12 am

Depends; could be up to $1M with punitive damages, if applicable

Cherokee juries can be very rough on pro se Plaintiffs

Good luck


(770) 985-6773 (answered 24 x 7 x 365 by a live person)

Read more
Answered on 2/01/18, 9:08 am
Ronald Arthur Lowry Ronald Arthur Lowry

The explanation of coverages by Mr. Spaulding is correct as far as it goes. Sometimes you can get more liability coverage if the defendant has car insurance on himself on another vehicle, or lives with someone who has an additional policy, or has an umbrella, etc. This is complicated and you really need to consult with an attorney who knows and understands liability insurance coverage and the interplay between liability insurance, UM coverage (and the priorities of UM), med-pay, health insurance, etc . Most attorneys don't. Many think they do but don't. This needs to be investigated thoroughly and all possible sources of insurance flushed out. You may need to find an attorney who now represents injured plaintiffs who also has experience as a former insurance defense lawyer who learned all this arcane insurance coverage stuff when he worked previously defending insurance companies. Good luck. If I can help feel free to call. (770)427-8468

Read more
Answered on 2/02/18, 1:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia