Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

I was recently served with a complaint for tort of negligence (motor vehicle subrogation). I have to file a response with the court clerk within 30 days.In March of 2011 I was involved in a car accident without insurance. The car had only been in my possession for a week and was not required yet to be registered but I was cited for no insurance (the charge was dismissed in court). I received no other citiations. Based on the police report my vision was obscured and the road conditions were wet and foggy. Failure to yield was a contributing factor on my part on the police report. I did stop at the stop sign but when I turned left I struck the back drivers side of another vehicle that was traveling straight on the road I was turning onto. The condition of both vehicles were listed as slightly damamged on the police report and both vehicles were driven off the scene. There were witnesses to the vehicles condition. The other vehicle involved it a 1997 Dodge 1500 truck and the plantiff is requesting payment in the amount of $5,686.25. That is more than the value of the vehicle if it were totalled, which it was not. They have not presented me with any type of invoice to show where the charges are coming from. What options do I have as far as contesting this amount? Do I need a lawyer to represent me? I'm not opposed to paying a reasonable amount but would offering any payment automatically make me responsible for cost of full repair?

Asked on 3/26/12, 12:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You made a horrible mistake in driving uninsured. You do need a lawyer, and the cost to defend such a case likely will exceed what is being sought. (Your possible options are to cut the best deal you can, spend a lot on a lawyer, or go bankrupt). Your first step is to see a lawyer and see which option is best for you.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/12, 6:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia