Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

Someone was walking on the borderline of my property and my german shepherd, who was inside, jolted out the front door when my brother opened it to let himself in. My dog started chasing the person, and, rather than running away, the person ran into our property which made the dog even more territorial. The person ended up jumping into a ditch to "save" herself (the dog is harmless) and ended up hurting herself very badly. We have reason to believe that she is going to sue us for the medical expenses. My question is that if she does, would I be able to represent my family? I believe the defendants would technically be my parents since they are the home owners, however I live there too and the dog is also mine. I am 24 and not an attorney.


Asked on 10/06/16, 9:35 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Ronald Arthur Lowry Ronald Arthur Lowry

There should be liability insurance coverage for this under the Homeowners' Policy insuring your parents' residence. Locate the policy and find contact information to report a claim. Contact the insurer ASAP to report the incident. If there is a claim and/or a lawsuit the insurer is responsible to defend you and your parents by providing a lawyer at no charge. Also, the insurer will be required to pay any settlement or judgment the injured person may receive up to the limit of the policy. It is important for you to report this to the insurer so it has an opportunity to investigate. Failure to report timely may open the door for the insurer to attempt to avoid coverage for the incident.

Read more
Answered on 10/06/16, 12:32 pm

You cannot represent your parents, you are not an attorney

Contact your parent's home owners' insurer ASAP that way the insurance company will be obligated to hire counsel to defend your parents

Read more
Answered on 10/08/16, 5:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia