Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

Bought a house and land in Georgia as a joint venture with my brother. It's under his name, which is unfortunate because we had a fallling out and does not want to give my my fair share and refuses to transfer title. I made majority of the mortgage payments. I have some money orders as proof, not all of them. The loan officer new it was a joint venture. Can anything be done?

Asked on 7/16/13, 11:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

The only way to own land is to be on the deed. The only proper way to have a "joint venture" (really a partnership) is to have a document. The only way you should do either is to have a lawyer to set it up. A lawyer would have made sure this problem never happened. On the facts that you give, you can sue, and it will be a he-said he-said dispute which you may or may not win and probably will cost at least many thousands, if not more (likely at least tens of thousands), in legal fees.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/13, 12:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia