Legal Question in Social Security Law in Georgia

i sold my property to my children in 2000 because i had a heart attack but didnt get the paper work drawned up by lawyer. just signed a paper and got a friend to sign as a witness to it .is this binding and legal.they paid me 100.00 each

Asked on 4/07/10, 8:48 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

None of have seen the paperwork to know if it is valid or not. See a lawyer. Note that even if you drew it up in a form that can't be recorded, which pretty much ruins the future marketability, you may be estopped to deny its validity. Again, see a lawyer. The tiny amount you saved then will be dwarfed by the larger amount you will likely spend now.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/10, 6:53 pm
Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

In addition, since you posted this under social security law and mentioned your health issue, perhaps you transferred the property for virtually nothing so the property could not be used to pay your debts. That is called a fraudulent conveyance, and may cause you and your family huge problems in the future, including the loss of government benefits. You need to see a lawyer now to try to fix the mess you may have made by trying to do something yourself.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/10, 7:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Georgia