Legal Question in Tax Law in Georgia

Is there a favorable way to get a georgia state tax execution removed from the public record? I'm primarily concerned with it's impact on my credit score.

The state filed the lien because they didn't post my income tax payment to the correct years' account. I moved around the time they were sending notices about the assessment and only discovered the filing after it was too late.

Once they corrected the accounting error (more than 12 months ago), I was told the Fifa filing would be pulled. Shame on me for not checking on this much earlier. This was brought to my attention when reviewing my credit report; I uncovered a big black eye "Public Record" entry.

Is there such a concept as a “wrongfully filed lien?” Is there some other disposition to this record that I should formally request? Is it up to me as the defendant to get this removed by filing some paperwork with the clerk of the superior court or is there an accepted method to formally request that the Georgia Department of Revenue remove the filing?

I appreciate any feedback.

Asked on 9/07/10, 12:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

Persistence. Write the GDOR letters. Call them (and keep track of the times and dates of the call and who you talk to). Go down to GDOR headquarters, 1st floor customer service, in person and politely nag them.

Best of luck.*******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.*******

Read more
Answered on 9/12/10, 2:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Georgia