Legal Question in Traffic Law in Georgia

I accidentally backed into a car about a month ago . The truck I was driving was given to my husband the day before it had no tag , later I found out no ins either !!!

We both agreed no police , that we would handle it between us . The estimate she gave me was more than I could afford . Now she's pissed , she says either she's going thur the ins . Company or taken legal action against me . Now she's come up with she had to take her teenage daughter to the hospital the dame night for rib braiseing !!!!!' We have talked off and on every since that day never once did she say anything . I saw her daughter after the crash she was totally fine . What action can this lady take against me ?

Asked on 5/27/13, 9:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You need a lawyer at once. You have many problems.

First of all, since you just got the vehicle and knew it had no tag, you knbew not to drive it, and you knew it was uninsured, since you hadn't bought any. Unless you had coverage on another car that included newly acquired vehicles, you can be prosecuted for no insurance. The maximum penalty is a year in jail, a $1000 fine plus surcharges, and loss of your license for a year.

If she makes a claim for injuriues or damages, you can be sued. Fail to pay and you can see your wages and bank accout levied on, a lien on your home, and loss of your license for life (until the judgment is satisfied).

Not reporting the accident to police can be an additional criminal charge.

See a lawyer immediately. You are at this point making things worse every time you talk to the other party. Drop your plans for tommorow, and do what you should have done a month ago - retain a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 5/27/13, 10:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Georgia