Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia

I'm 16 and pregnant , I live in Chatham County , Ga . Can I legally get married ?

Asked on 8/03/14, 6:37 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

No unless your parents sign and agree. In some cases your boyfriend will go to jail.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/14, 8:12 am

Attorney Ashman is correct; see OCGA 19-3-2. Your parents would need to consent here.

19-3-2. Who may contract marriage; parental consent

(a) To be able to contract marriage, a person must:

(1) Be of sound mind;

(2) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this Code section, be at least 18 years of age;

(3) Have no living spouse of a previous undissolved marriage. The dissolution of a previous marriage in divorce proceedings must be affirmatively established and will not be presumed. Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to affect the legitimacy of children; and

(4) Not be related to the prospective spouse by blood or marriage within the prohibited degrees.

(b) If either applicant for marriage is 16 or 17 years of age, parental consent as provided in Code Section 19-3-37 shall be required.

I don't think your boyfriend is guilty of statutory rape as you are 16, but then I don't do criminal law. If your parents are not happy about this blessed event then they could see if criminal charges could be brought against him.

You are way too young to be getting married here. Before you make another major mistake you and your boyfriend better sit down and have a discussion with your parents. You can keep the child and if your boyfriend and you continue your relationship then you can get married if you want when you are 18. Or you can discuss having an abortion if that would be better - up to you.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/14, 9:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia