Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia

How can I get my children's names changed from mine to their father's if/when we get married?

Asked on 8/05/10, 7:58 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

This can be done via a name change petition in Superior Court. If you're in metro Atlanta, I can assist you. If you're elsewhere, call a local lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 8/10/10, 8:09 pm
Paula McGill Paula McGill Attorney at Law

You don't have to wait until you get married to change their names. He can legitimate the children and ask for the name change in the petition. This is an inexpensive process. For an uncontested legitimation and name change, I charge $300.00.

10 Glenlake Parkway

Suite 130

Atlanta, GA 30328


Read more
Answered on 8/10/10, 8:09 pm

Is this man the father of the children? Then Attorney McGill is correct - the father needs to legitimate the children. If the legitimation petition is granted, then a new birth certificate will be issued reflecting the name change.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/10, 9:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia