Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia

I am the personal representative of my father's estate (has already been through probate). He died intestate. He is the sole owner of a home in Georgia and I am the sole beneficiary to the estate. Can I do a personal representative deed to transfer the title of the home to myself?

Asked on 1/21/14, 1:29 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Harold Holcombe Harold D. Holcombe, P.C.

Sure. Once you have gone through the probate process in your local court and get the Letters of Administration that would qualify you as the Administrator, pay all the debts, post the necessary bonds, and file the necessary inventories, you can administer the deed. It needs to be properly drafted and recorded in order to transfer title properly. Most times an experienced probate attorney is needed to help you avoid pitfalls and potential lawsuits from creditors before you transfer property.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/14, 1:43 pm
Robert Thompson J. Robert Thompson Attorney

Further to Mr. Holcombe's answer, the proper form is an Administrator's Deed of Assent.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/14, 2:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia