Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia

Can I Read a Neighbor's Will?

Our neighbor died and had 2 adult children. One of them is mentally retarded and one is not. The mentally retarded child did not receive any inheritance. He needs medical care desperately but has no money to get the care needed. I'd like to see the father's will to see if the other child received everything and just is not taking care of the mentally retarded adult child. It is a heart-breaking situation!!!!!!!

Asked on 5/07/07, 10:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: Can I Read a Neighbor's Will?

First, you can check with the Probate Court to see if the will has been filed for probate. Next, anyone can file a petition to be appointed as the guardian of the incompetent person. This process would be a way to inquire into things, even if the process is later dismissed because everything seems on the up and up. Your county probably already has a designated guardian, who is usually a competent attorney approved by the Probate Court to act where there is no family member willing to come forward.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/07, 9:14 am

Re: Can I Read a Neighbor's Will?

If you are concerned that the assets of an incompetent adult are being abused, you can report the matter to Adult Protective Services (the Department of Family and Childrens Services in your county will be able to provide the telephone numbers needed to do this).

Read more
Answered on 5/08/07, 9:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia