Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia

I recently received a letter in the mail from the Probate court regarding my grandfather filing to be appointed administrator over my deceased grandmother's estate. He also applied for waiver of bond and grant of certain powers contained in O.C.G.A 53-12-261. My sister and I have been named as legal heirs since our father passed away prior to my grandmother's death and she didn't have a living will and testament. They also sent a Selection by heirs (and consent of heirs to waiver of bond and grant of certain powers) requesting that I sign it. According to the head letter if I object to this I've got to send a notarized letter stating my objection on or before November 20th, 2018. My question is what can I do to make sure that my sister and I do not lose our inheritance? I also would like to know if I would be able to legally negotiate a cash settlement outside of court for my signature. Any advice given will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Asked on 11/10/18, 6:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

One thing you can do to not lose any inheritance from the estate - don't do something really stupid like try to ask for a bribe or try to blackmail your relatives.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/18, 6:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia