Legal Question in Workers Comp in Georgia

Injured on job

I was injured on the job 11-3-05 i was fired 12-6.We i have a lawyer and we reached a agreement but i havent signed any paperwork can i changed attorneys. I feel like i was done wrong.

Asked on 5/24/08, 11:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Re: Injured on job

The person to discuss this with is your lawyer, or speak to another one. Keep in mind the first lawyer will likely want to be paid for the work completed for you, especially if you agreed to a settlement. You might end up paying 2 lawyers.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/08, 8:35 pm
Lisa Schrage Law Offices of Lisa S. Schrage, P.C.

Re: Injured on job

You have a right change attorneys if you are not comfortable with your current attorney. However, I strongly encourage you to talk to your attorney before doing anything further. Schedule an appointment to have face time with your attorney. Before your appointment, sit down and think about the questions you want to ask your attorney. If you are confussed about your rights or you are unsure about your settlement, tell this to your attorney and ask him or her to spend some time going over the details of your case. After you give your current attorney the opportunity to clear things up, if you still are unsure and worried about your situtation, then you may want to consult with another attorney. Your old attorney can put a lien against your file for their services. If you hire another attorney, the lien will be resolved if and when your claim is settled. The most that can be taken out of your settlement (no matter how many attorneys you have had) is 25%. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/27/08, 9:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Georgia