Legal Question in Business Law in Hawaii

I am a 1/3 owner in a business. I moved to another state for 6 years because of divorce & was laid off, but kept my shares in the company that I helped get started. i was working in the office as the Office manager & bookkeeper,payroll, invoices, collection , etc. I have now moved back & have ask for my old job back,

Being a partner in the business I wanted to get back into the business. They have another person who is doing all the things I did, she is not a partner nor does she have any interest in the business.

My question is what,if any, legal grounds do I have in this situation? I have ask for the job to be returned to me & told they did not want to give me her job, that was my job for over 11 years.

Thanks for your time.

Verna Belliveau

Asked on 10/01/10, 2:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin B. Murphy Franchise Foundations, APC

You need to repost your attorney question with more information. Was the business a corporation, LLC or partnership? Did you have any type of contract with the business regarding your employment as Office Manager? Normally, being an "owner" does not necessarily entitle you to a job. If I own shares of McDonalds, for example, even if I worked for them before and was laid off, my shares don't, in the absence of something else, entitle me to my old job back. Consult with a good business attorney in your area for specific advice.

Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D. - Mr. Franchise

Franchise Attorney

Read more
Answered on 10/06/10, 4:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Hawaii