Legal Question in Construction Law in Idaho

Property owner rights vs General Contractor rights

I am currently building a house in which the General Contractor has continued to request additional funds over his initial bid, however he will not provide me with a break down of the initial bid so that I may account for the excess funds he is requesting. Everytime he has requested funds they have been disbursed by my bank, with the exception of the 16,000. in extras that he claims to have incurred. I am now receiving calls from many of the sub contractors who should have been paid by now claiming that they have not been paid. I feel I am completely in the dark with respect to the destination of the money I have sent to him.

Do I have any recourse? Should I seek legal council?

Asked on 8/11/04, 10:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: Property owner rights vs General Contractor rights

Yes, you should seek legal council. I reply to about 1/10 of these e-mails. It sounds to me like your general contractor is in some serious trouble financially and trying to leave you on the hook. Give me a call.

Jared B. Martens

Christian & Martens Law Group, PLLC

Eighth Street Marketplace

404 South Eighth Street, Suite 300

Boise, Idaho 83702

Telephone: (208) 322-6448

Facsimile: (208) 322-3360

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/12/04, 1:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Idaho