Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I was hurt at work on June 10,2012 a pallet full of blinds weighing approx. 1500lbs was lowered onto my foot with an electric pallet jack with long extended forks. I was taken to the hospital and got x-rays done and it stated I had a foot contusion and was put on crutches. On June 24th I had a MRI done because I was in a lot of pain still. The results I got from the doctor were I have inflammation on my bone. My doctor put in a request for physical therapy back in June and still no answer from my jobs insurance company. I started physical therapy on July 5th and was going three days a week with a therapist I found on my own because of the insurance company was not returning the doctors calls.( I had informed my jobs insurance company of this after my first visit that I was seeing this person). I was doing stem treatments and exercises. This doctor wanted to do another MRI to see why I was still in a lot of pain because I am not healing. I didn't go back. The insurance finally got back with my doctor and approved me for the physical therapist office at my doctor office. I went to see this physical therapist and she is doing the same exact thing as the other physical therapist. My question is what do I do, what do I say to this insurance company because I do not believe that this doctor is going to help any if they are doing the same thing the other therapist was doing. Help please can I go somewhere else even though my approval is at this office? Also I still have not returned to work and am ready to go back, but I cannot return because I ride equipment and my foot is in a lot of pain still. Please help me on what I need to do thank you.

Asked on 8/21/12, 7:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Wunsch Law Offices John C. Wunsch, P.C.

Dear Sirs,

You have rights under the Illinois Workmen's Compensation Act for benefits.

Please call our office this morning to discuss.

Many thanks,

John C. Wunsch

Law Offices


August 22, 2012

(312) 977--9900

Read more
Answered on 8/22/12, 6:30 am
Jason Marker Marker & Assosiates, Attorneys at Law, P.C.

It is hard to tell from your email whether you have been seen by a foot specialist or not? I would highly recommend you request a referral from your doctor to a foot specialist who can review your MRI, decide whether you need a new one or even perhaps surgery if necessary (rather than more PT that is not helping). Under the Act, you have the right to see a doctor and any other doctor he/she refers you to. It is very important that you obtain a referral from your current doctor in order for the workers' compensation carrier to be required to pay for the treatment of the specialist.

I would be happy to discuss this more with you if you'd like. Our firm has worked with many foot specialists and I could refer you to some names of doctors I know would be helpful if necessary. Feel free to contact me via phone or email. Good luck.

Jason Marker

Quinn, Meadowcroft & Marker


[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/22/12, 7:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois