Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Move Pending Case to New State / County

I moved to Lake County, IN last July. I have a daughter who was 2 at the time. Her father and I were never married and he was not making an effort to see her on a regular basis. I moved where I have family and because of a personal family situation. Father did not object to move but now is filing a petition for me to have to move back to IL. I'm not worried about this, however, the case is in Will County, IL, where I no longer reside. Father resides in Cook County, IL. Neither of us reside in the county where the case is currently pending and I am curious as to if I have a case to petition the court leave existing child support in effect but order the case to be moved to my current residing State/County? Thank you.

Asked on 7/05/05, 7:54 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Thaddeus Hunt Law Offices of Thaddeus Hunt

Re: Move Pending Case to New State / County

It is certainly possible. It seems quite odd that he would bring the action in Will County unless that is where you resided prior to moving to Indiana. If you would like to provide more details, please contact me at (312) 834-0609.

Very truly yours,

Thaddeus J. Hunt

Read more
Answered on 7/05/05, 8:01 pm

Voyle A. Glover Attorney at Law

Re: Move Pending Case to New State / County

Suggest strongly that you contact Attorney Hunt ASAP. Venue is going to be in the original court, absent agreement by the parties, though relocation by a custodial parent can be a factor affecting jurisdisdiction eventually.

Right now, you need to talk w/an Ill attorney quickly because there is a matter pending in a court and it's not something you can afford to ignore.

Read more
Answered on 7/06/05, 9:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois