Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Had a recent verbal agreement with ex husband for custodial residence to change to me for our 15 year old daughter. This was under the direct opinion of both therapists and physicians of my daughter. She has lived with me for 2 months and he is refusing to help financially. Current agreement on file with courts is that she resides with him and I am not responsible for support. Does this change once I took custody? Can I file for the modification on my own?

Asked on 1/25/13, 1:26 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

It only changes by a court order. Of course you can file on your own but it may take longer as there are various rules you have to comply with.

Read more
Answered on 1/25/13, 2:27 pm
Francois Nabwangu Wright Cantrell PLLC

a change in custody requires a showing of substantial and material change in circumstance, which you have in this case. Feel free to contact us you need to file for modification. 8007939859

Read more
Answered on 1/25/13, 3:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois