Legal Question in Disability Law in Illinois

My sister lives in a rural Indiana area. She worked in Illinois. She needs a lawyer to help her find someone to represent her. She was injured at work and put on long term leave because of her injury. During that time she was trying to get surgery for the injury. After a year she was fired and lost her insurance. She did not have enough time to get the surgery she needed. Now she has no income and no way to ger the surgery or any benefits. I thought it was illegal to fire someone on a work disability and it appears it was just so they would not have to pay for the surgery. What should she do. The lawyer she saw has done nothing and does not appear to know how to handle the case at all. He has written a few letters but is nowhere near getting anything solved and even lied toher about what he had done when she tried to contact a new lawyer. Can you recommend a lawyer who can handle her complicated legal case?

Asked on 2/20/14, 8:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

She should see a worker's compensation attorney who practices in your state; they are some of the few attorneys who still handle cases on a contingent fee basis, but not always. She should go to the Social Security office because she may qualify for SSDI depending on facts. She should apply for unemployment insurance. She may qualify for Indiana's new "Healthy Indiana" alternative to Obamacare. She can vote against the Republicans who rejected expanding Medicaid in Indiana and left her with no insurance options. Get rid of the bad lawyer by getting a good one.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/14, 1:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Illinois