Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Illinois

I was allowed 30 days by court to remove a truck load of my property from a relatives home, but they are preventing me from doing so. What should I do? I would like to appeal the judges decision, to set a specific date and time for the move. Is that possible?

Asked on 12/20/13, 3:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

You should be able to take the court order to your local sheriff who can then help you enforce it, especially if it itemizes the things you are entitled to removed, but if the order is badly written and/or if the sheriff won't, you may have to go to court as you state, and ask for the order to be rewritten and/or law enforcement assistance. But to do so you may first have to get the court to issue a "rule to show cause" why the relatives should not be held in contempt of court for failing to allow you to remove your property, and if they don't show up the judge could cite them for contempt...but you must start this process within the 30 days.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/13, 11:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Illinois