Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Illinois

If my Chapter 7 was Discharge on January 3, 2006, when will I be able to file another Chapter 7?

Asked on 2/19/13, 11:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

8 years from the date of filing. So, I would assume if your discharge was in 1/2006, that your filing was approximately 9/2005. So, if correct, that would mean 9/2013. It may be helpful to start the process now so any issues can be uncovered.

The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to assess the situation and advise you. I recommend you assemble for legal consultation: (1) your income information for September 2012 through the present, including wages and unemployment during that period; (2) all your bills (copies neatly assembled, back pages included); (3) last four years’ tax returns; (4) a credit report (use to obtain free report if not requested in last year); and (5) other information that may apply, such as copies of lawsuits. Call at your earliest convenience to afford the most opportunity in which to be advised about your best course. You are not required to use an attorney in your area.

I do not recommend filing bankruptcy on your own. There are too many complex issues. I have seen several posts on this site for debtors who filed on their own and are seeking counsel concerning complications. Most of them will have a hard time finding an attorney to get involved to unwind the mess without the attorney charging several times what would originally have been paid.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/13, 12:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Illinois