Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Illinois

What happens if you are in the process of filing bankruptcy and you get served papers from one of the creditors?

Asked on 1/07/17, 12:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay

Speak with your bankruptcy attorney, but more likely than not you will just continue on your path to filing the bankruptcy. Perhaps the attorney will move your file up in priority.

If you are not represented, you should reconsider. I do not recommend filing bankruptcy on your own. There are too many complex issues. I have seen several posts on this site for debtors who filed on their own and are seeking counsel concerning complications. Most of them will have a hard time finding an attorney to get involved to unwind the mess without the attorney charging several times what would originally have been paid.

The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to assess the situation and advise you. If not represented, I recommend you assemble for legal consultation: (1) household income information for July 2016 through the present, including wages and unemployment during that period; (2) all your bills and collection notices (copies neatly assembled, back pages included); (3) last two years’ tax returns; (4) a credit report (use to obtain free report if not requested in last year); and (5) other information that may apply, such as copies of lawsuits. Call at your earliest convenience to afford the most opportunity in which to be advised about your best course.

Read more
Answered on 1/08/17, 1:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Illinois