Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Illinois

Can I be held liable for turning someone in for drugs... if they lose their job

Asked on 6/18/13, 12:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Chen Kasher Chen Kasher

Possibly, if you are mistaken about their drug use and your employer takes adverse action against them. Then you may be liable under a number of civil causes of action, including defamation.

If you turn them into the police and are mistaken about their drug use, other causes of action may apply, like false imprisonment. Criminal penalties may apply as well.

In short, if you feel absolutely compelled to turn someone in for using drugs, I'd be sure about it. Ideally, you'll have documentation of the drug use in order to CYA.

[email protected]

(773) 853-3062

Disclaimer: I am not your attorney and this general advice may not apply to the facts of your situation.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 8:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Illinois