Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Illinois

my mother passed away a year ago in November. my grandmother who is deceased as well left a policy in her name. my half sister opened the policy letter addressed to my mother's oldest brother and received a check for $15000 and claimed to be the beneficiary leaving nothing to my brother and I. I am the oldest of the three. do I have any legal rights to sue?

Asked on 10/12/13, 6:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

If the paperwork sent to the insurance company to release the check was "correct" but either a fraud or a forgery, your rights, if any, may be against the family members who manufactured the paperwork, unless the insurance company should have known better, in which case the insurance company may have some responsibility. This is not civil rights law; it is insurance law, and possibly probate: normally insurance doesn't go through probate unless the insurance was payable to the estate, in which case the administrator and/or executor or your grandmother's estate would be involved. It may also be tax fraud because there can be taxes due on insurance proceeds. See your OWN attorney to get things started. Otherwise this is too complicated and without seeing all the paperwork no reliable legal advice can be given.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/13, 9:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Illinois