Legal Question in Construction Law in Illinois

hi,i had a contractor do some work for me in fixing up my grand parents home i am un satisfied with the work he has preformed i have not paid him the full amount as of yet. he in return has filed a lean and is starting to charge me interest on remaining balance.I am currently trying to set up appointments with other contractors to get pricing and costs to fix what the original contractor screwed up.

Should i be looking to sue this contractor?

Asked on 4/02/12, 9:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

You should be looking to an attorney to review the contract you had with the contractor to find out what your legal rights and obligations under it were and are. Many residential contractors have simplified forms that don't give owner many rights. Some contracts provide for the owner's right to halt work if it is non-conforming and if not fixed within a period of time to terminate the contractor and hire someone else (which wouldn't prevent a lien but at least is a contract right), but there's usually a formal notice required.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/12, 12:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Illinois