Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

I am currently paying a collection agency $52/Month for a credit card that was maxed out, over my careless stupidity. The card was received in the mail and activated around the middle of 2011. About three months ago I finally called the collections agency, from where it had been turned over from capital one, I have been paying on this account for 3 months now, but I am all out of money I have no job, nothing!!! I am disabled and take so many medicines for so many health problems. I need some type of legal advice I am not one who, tries to not pay my bills I just have so many health problems it is hard for me to get an odd job here and there to make one end meet the other. I am in poor health at a young age with no assets of any kind. There must be something, I could do to get the collection agency to lay off. Please help me in any way you can

Asked on 6/18/13, 7:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.

If you are received SSD, the funds form SSD are exempt from creditors. Depending on your other assets, you may be noncollectable. The only way to get the collection agency to "lay off" you is to file bankruptcy, which may be unnecessary. You could also retain an attorney who might write a letter to the agency and suppl them with the back up to your statements. This might cause them to back off, but it is unlikely.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 4:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois