Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

I recently received a wage garnishment notification. However, I was not served paperwork for a judgement in this case. This debt is no longer on my credit report, and I beleive the statute of limitations has expired. Also, there is not a judgement on my credit report. There is a judgement listed on the county court records website from 2.5 years ago that I am otherwise unaware of. What steps, if any, can I take to stop this wage garnishment?

Asked on 11/08/13, 3:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.

Your credit report is not an official record. It is merely a report created by a private company. You obviously were aware that a judgment was entered against you. If it was entered 2.5 years ago they gave at least 7 years to use any legal method to collect on that judgment. If you were not properly served in that case, you have the ability to seek vacation of that judgment. However your motion does not stay the collection efforts.

Read more
Answered on 11/08/13, 4:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois