Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

Being sued from a credit collection agency. Court date is in two days. Can we request a continuance to find a lawyer?

Asked on 9/16/20, 4:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terrance Leeders Leeders Law

Hi and thanks for your question. Yes. You can. If this is the first notice you received, you can read the instructions. It will advise you on how and where to file an answer which will put the case onto the judge's court call. When the court date comes up, you can also attend (may be virtually depending on the court) and request a continuance to find an attorney. A bankruptcy attorney (like myself) can assist you in filing a chapter 7 or chapter 13 and get rid of this and other debts. The court case will stop upon the filing of the bankruptcy case - you are given the automatic stay protection. Your bankruptcy attorney can provide notice to the opposing counsel and the lawsuit must stop. You can also defend the case with an attorney, or they can help negotiate a settlement if you do owe as well. Thanks

Contact me if you are looking to file bankruptcy. Thanks!

Read more
Answered on 9/17/20, 10:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois