Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois

My 20 year old son was arrested for delivery/possession of controlled substance. On his first court appearance the judge refused to assign him a public defender. She asked him did he work (he was working until he was arrested), she asked him who he lived with, he told her he lived with me. She asked my son had he been emancipated to which he replied no, then informed my son I was responsible for obtaining a lawyer for him. How am I obligated to retain a lawyer for a 20 year old adult? Please advise

Asked on 11/07/13, 12:46 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Gable Law Office of Andrew Gable

Was your son able to post bond? Often the judge will not assign a public defender if a bond is posted. The judge may also feel that because he is still your dependent you are responsible for him. Please feel free to contact me if you would like some more help.

Andy Gable


Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 12:55 pm

Michael Rosenblat Michael C. Rosenblat., P.C.

Most judge's will not assign a public defender if the defendant is out on bond. The bond money can be used to pay his attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/13, 1:10 pm
George Zuganelis Zuganelis & Zuganelis, Attorneys at Law, P.C.

The answers given above are right. Without knowing who the judge was, it's difficult to tell you more. If you need a lawyer, I have been a criminal defense lawyer for 35 years, and have handled hundreds of drug cases. Please call for a free review of your son's case and possible financing should you choose to hire me. My cell phone is (708) 263-8212. You will be able to contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 11/08/13, 7:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois