Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois

False police report

If your spouse was convicted of a misdemeanor for domestic and you called the police in the heat of an argument and said he hit you, but really you hit him.The state has asked me to testify against him as their witnesses. Now the States's Attorney's office wants to press charges on him and give him a felony. They continued the first court date because I wrote them a letter stating what really happened and they wanted to talk to me. Now I went in there and spoke to the State's Attorney investigator and gave them a recorded statement and said that I lied on the 911 tape because I wanted him out of my home and he wouldn't get out and we were arguing but no physical contact was made by anyone but me. What is your prediction of the outcome? What is going to be my punishment?

Asked on 2/06/06, 5:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Zuganelis Zuganelis & Zuganelis, Attorneys at Law, P.C.

Re: False police report

Filing a false police report is a felony under the disorderly conduct statute. I believe it's a class 4 felony which carries a sentence of probation, or 1 to 3 years in prison, and/or a $2,500.00, fine. It isn't perjury because there is no statement under oath. You better get a lawyer. I can't tell where you live based on your zip code, but if you're near Chicago, please call for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/06, 10:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois