Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois

my friends did some burgaleries, and got caught.they signed statements saying i was involved, so when the police came to question me, i signed statements they told me to write to clear my name and keep me out of trouble, and instead, it got me more deeply involved in the case and made me look guiltier. i have no criminal record, what is going to happen to me?

Asked on 3/20/12, 11:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anything in writing can be used to incriminate you especially if it was obtained voluntarily and lawfully. However, given the seriousness of the offenses you mentioned here, I strongly recommend you seek counsel from a decent criminal lawyer regarding this matter. Unless we know what you signed and what the police intend to do with it, it is really hard to predict the outcome of this situation. A good criminal attorney can sit down with you and discuss this matter further and better advise you in my opinion. If the police approach you again, it might be wiser to say nothing further and simply have this attorne ready to intervene on your behalf. Best of luck to you!

Read more
Answered on 3/22/12, 2:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois