Legal Question in Criminal Law in Illinois

I was scammed out of 3,500 dollars by a man impersonating to be a new jersey state police. He was claiming to help me with a federal haebus corpus concerning my son whose constitional rights were violated and he was convicted. I'm from il. and this guy is out of new jersey (that's what he said). I met him thru a friend. How can i bring him up on charges and retrieve my money?

Asked on 10/03/13, 8:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

You need to say the method by which you were scammed. If it was through the mail, or email, or telephone, there are federal laws. If this was in person only it may only be an Illinois case. And you can always sue for the money but we can't say where -- just because the perp says he's from NJ doesn't mean much; you may be able to sue in Illinois but may have to serve him in NJ. And if it is just a state case, to press charges you may only be able to contact the NJ State Police or the police where he lives, if he is from NJ.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 12:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Illinois