Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Child wants to live with non-custodial parent

My 16 yr old wants to move with the non-custodial and the custodial is not in aggreement. At what age can the child make the choice to be with either parent?

Asked on 3/23/09, 11:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Zedrick Braden III Ainsworth & Associates PC

Re: Child wants to live with non-custodial parent

Hello. Any change of custody should be done through the court. Technically, it is not the child's decision to make, until he or she reaches the age of majority which is age 18. However, at age 16 a judge may consider the wishes of your child in making a decision. The standard used by Illinois courts in reaching custody decisions is the best interest of the child. Will be happy to discuss this further and in more detail.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/09, 12:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois