Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

child support

I live in Chicago, Illinois. I have a child support case in process. I am representing myself pro se. My 'ex' is represented by an attorney. I was given a motion for interrogatories and disclosures on December 2, 2008 and given 28 dyas to respond. I did not respond nor filled out the proper documents. These are for increase in child support. I have been responsible for paying her the proper amount, actually more than legally demanded, regularly. I must be in court on January 27, 2009. Please tell me the worst case scenario and the probable outcome of the judge's decision. Of course my hope is that the judge would give me more time without and court penalty contempt of court fines. Your help is appreciated. Thank you!

Asked on 1/25/09, 11:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Steele Steele Law Firm

Re: child support

The worst case is that the court finds you in contempt, makes you pay the other attorney's legal fees, and raises your support amount really high. Going up an attorney in such matters by yourself is not smart, especially since any costs you pay an attorney is less then what you will end up paying through sanctions and unfair increases. Its cheaper for you to have an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 1/26/09, 8:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois