Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My daughter had visitation with me but she was very mean to me and now she does not want to see me.

This is part of a divorce.

Asked on 5/13/11, 6:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Raiford Palmer Sullivan Taylor & Gumina, P.C.

This can be a difficult situation - where a parent has court-ordered visitation but the child does not want to see the parent, complains and gives the parent a hard time during the time with the parent. There are a few choices - try to force the issue with the Court if the other parent is encouraging the behavior; or let it go for a while to let things settle down. You have not mentioned some important facts - age of the child, the stage your case is in (pre-decree or post-decree), etc. Some kids just don't want to put down what they are doing and do anything different, whether it means a trip to the store with the parent living with them or perhaps going to see you for parenting time (visitation). This is more of a counseling/coaching issue than a legal one. I encourage you to look up divorce coaches online for advice on this issue. If your ex is withholding visitation, that is one thing where a court can help. If your daughter just gives you a hard time during visitation, that is an entirely different problem that may require some advice from a professional counselor.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/11, 8:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois