Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I got divorced 11 yrs ago from a chicago fireman. It was not a pleasant divorce. After 32 yrs of

marriage, verbal and physical abuse, I wanted out. With my ex-husband being a chicago fireman,

I was given 50% of his pension when he retires. Well, he finally retire and the amount I am getting

is a far cry what from what he is collecting. Question, my portion is based on the years we were married and he was a fireman, which would be 18 yrs, his portion is 300% more than mine. Can I take my ex-husband back to court on this matter?

Asked on 8/31/11, 6:53 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Gotzh Law Office of David Gotzh

You were awarded 50% of the marital portion of the pension, which is not the same as 50% of the entire pension. Don't take my word for it, pull out the QDRO and look for yourself.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/11, 6:57 pm
Donald Boyd The Boyd Law Firm, P.C.

All of your answers should be found by carefully reviewing both the Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage and any resulting qualified order. If you feel that a mistake was made there may be remedies to correct it. However, after 11 years the burden may be nearly impossible to overcome. I would start with a careful review. Perhaps, as the previous answer states, there is no mistake. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/01/11, 8:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois