Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Divorcing an illegal alien

I have been married to a woman

from Peru for the past 4 months.

When I married her her visa had

expired and we are now in the

process of getting her greencard and

validating the marriage, however, in

the past few months I have found

that she may have only married me

to stay in the country. If I get a

divorce I fear it will look like I tried to

help defraud the government. Can I

obtain a divorce without getting in

''trouble''? Will she get deported if we

get a divorce before she gets her

green card?

Asked on 3/19/09, 9:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Steele Steele Law Firm

Re: Divorcing an illegal alien

"she may have married me to stay in the country". You think!? I can't believe the idea is now just crossing your mind. If you really never thought of that, you will be fine with the INS. Just be honest, and you should have an attorney. But since I am an attorney, I know that comes across as biased.

Read more
Answered on 3/19/09, 3:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois