Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Hello, if a friend is unable to advocate for himself but his wife that isn't his wife legally is his caregiver and she is treating my friend poorly. Can the family kick her out from his house?

Asked on 1/10/22, 7:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Elfreda Dockery Law Office of Elfreda Dockery

What is going on with your friend? Call me at (312) 372-5600 and give me more information.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/22, 7:43 am
Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

Unless and until someone has the legal right to advocate for the man, the family can do nothing. If he has previously signed a power of attorney for property, she could be evicted. Otherwise until a court appoints a guardian of the estate for the man, there is nothing anuyone can legally do. Note that if they lived for a time in a state that recognizes common law marriage (not Illinois) they could be legally married. IF not they are not married.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/22, 12:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois