Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I am a grandparent in Illinois who has "full custody and total discretion over all visitation of the parents and other family members" given by South Carlina (DSS) 6 months ago. Now my grandchildrens other grandmother - a regular drug user, who played a very big part in introducing their mother to drugs which put the children into foster care wants to see the children, we are denying visitation. Can she file for grandparents visitation rights in Illinois with a custody / visitation arragement so current from South Carolina - we do allow the childrens parents to see the children, under supervised vistitation. She is threatenting to get a lawyer, I cannot afford one

Asked on 6/03/13, 7:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

Unfortunately, anybody can file for anything. If she's a drug user, she probably can aford an attorney either. Illinois has jurisdiction over the case since the children live here. Grandparents have few rights here and under these circumstances probably none. You may want to start right away contact any free or low cost legal services in your area in the event the grandmother chooses to pursue an action against you. Most importantly, contact the DSS and let them know what is going on and ask what they advise.

Read more
Answered on 6/03/13, 7:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois